App Feed

Want to be an adjuster?

|

September 10, 2019

If you’re looking for a chance to be your own boss, help others, travel and get paid, the field of CAT adjusting may be right for you.

How does CAT adjusting work? Following a catastrophic event, a homeowner files a “claim” for damages to their home with their insurance company from any catastrophic “peril” which may include wind, hail, flood, etc. A “CAT adjuster” is the person who travels to areas of catastrophic damage on behalf of the insurance company and meets with the homeowner to inspect the damage and write an estimate to repair the damage to the property. Upon completing the estimate, the adjuster provides it to the insurance carrier for payment by the insurance company to the homeowner. Often the adjuster is also charged with negotiating the claim settlement amount with the homeowner. Depending on experience, an adjuster can be responsible for as many as twenty or up to hundreds of claims during a catastrophic event.

CAT adjusters work for themselves. They make their own hours, choose how much work they want to accept, choose who they want to work for, and they may choose the jobs and locations they want to work. They are subcontracted through an “adjusting firm” like CNC that has contracted with insurance companies to assist with estimating damages after catastrophic events and daily events. As an independent contractor, CAT adjusters must supply their own equipment and incur all expenses associated with traveling, lodging, food, insurance, equipment, etc. 

Qualifications

  • Driver’s license
  • State of residence adjuster’s license
  • Clean record
  • Must be alcohol and drug-free

Skills

  • Customer service
  • Receptive to criticism
  • Common sense
  • Basic computer knowledge
  • Able to follow directions
  • Good work ethic
  • Organization
  • Scheduling and task management
  • Good with people
  • Professional appearance
  • Reading comprehension
  • Stress management
  • Self-control
  • Stamina
  • Typing skills
  • No experience required – we can train you!

Other requirements to get started as an adjuster

  • Start-up cash ($2,000 recommended)
  • Backup cash for continuing home expenses
  • Financial investment (Computer, telephone, automobile, licensing, digital camera, tablet, misc. equipment, estimating software…)

Fee Structure

CAT adjusters for houses/property claims are paid a flat fee for each estimate written. The fee is based on a structured tier. For example, an estimate written for flood damage in the amount of $25,000.01 to $35,000.00 pays a flat fee of $1,390 to the adjusting firm. The adjusting firm takes 40% ($556) of the fee for marketing, expenses, salaries for employees, insurance, etc. The adjuster gets the remaining 60% ($834). Skilled and experienced adjusters can earn up to 70%. 

Another example of compensation is by percentage of the estimate. For example, an estimate written for flood damage in the amount of $250,000.01 to $1,000,000.00 will pay 2.4% of the estimate but not less than $6,500. Fee schedules vary between insurance companies.

Other Adjusting Opportunities

Other employment opportunities for CAT adjusting include estimating damage to automobiles. The concept is similar to property adjusting. The adjuster writes estimates to repair automobiles and submits those estimates to the insurance company for payment. Automobile adjusters are paid on a daily rate of $500. This is for 12-hour days, 7 days a week.

In addition to CAT adjusting, there are also careers available for daily claims. The process is similar to CAT adjusting and the pay is also based on a structured tier. The perils for daily claims can include fire, busted water line, sewer backup, lightning, wind, hail, etc.  For more information about CAT or daily adjusting visit www.adjustingexpectations.com. Call CNC directly at 251-471-4718 option 4 to find out about CNC’s class offerings.