BackJoin CNCOpen PositionsLife at CNC
BackAbout UsMeet the TeamNews & MediaOur CompaniesProject CNC
BackEducationAdjuster BlogClassesAdjuster ResourcesPolicyholder ResourcesThe New Adjuster PodcastWeather Report
BackSolutionsCase Studies
SolutionsEducationAboutJoin CNCContact
CNC Catastrophe & National Claims provides adjuster resources, an adjuster FAQ, and helpful connections for independent adjusters.

Adjuster Resources

Adjuster FAQ

I have little or no experience adjusting. Can I still work with CNC?

CNC requires each adjuster to have either a valid state adjuster license or a valid FCN card issued by FEMA. Adjusters who meet these requirements can work for CNC; however, additional training and certifications are required for certain carriers, and licensing laws vary from state-to-state.

What’s the difference between a staff adjuster and an independent adjuster?

A staff adjuster is an employee of an insurance company whose work is to investigate, evaluate, and eventually settle a claim. An independent adjuster is usually either self-employed or employed by an insurance adjusting firm who specializes in insurance claims. They adjust claims on behalf of the insurer and may work for several different carriers.

What’s the best way to receive communications from CNC about possible deployments, upcoming training classes, and other important info?

CNC communicates with adjusters via phone calls, text, social media, and email.

  • Stay close to you phone when you see severe weather such as hail storms, tropical storms, and hurricanes.

  • Ensure you’re opted in to receiving notifications by going to Claimsource > Click ‘PROFILE’ in the top-right corner > Opt in.

  • Check your Spam folder.

How much money will I make as an adjuster?

Salary.com lists the average independent claims adjuster salary as $52,642 as of January 26, 2023. The amount of money you can make as an adjuster will fluctuate widely based on many factors including weather, the amount of claims volume you are able to handle, and what types of licenses you currently hold.

What type of tools should I have to get started?

Some commonly used tools and equipment for insurance adjusters include:

  • Cell phone

  • Digital camera

  • iPad

  • Ladder

  • Laptop

  • Measuring tape

  • Printer

  • Rope and harness

Do I need any specific certifications to work for CNC?

CNC requires each adjuster to have either a valid state adjuster license or a valid FCN Card issued by FEMA. CNC does not have any certification requirements; however, many carriers require adjusters who are performing work on their claims to obtain company-specific certification. Having multiple carrier certifications will help you qualify for more deployments.

Call us or check the Classes page for upcoming training and certification opportunities.

What kind of estimating software should I have?


  • Simsol

  • Symbility

  • Xactimate


  • Autadex

  • CCC

  • Mitchell

    What expenses am I responsible for as an adjuster?

    Adjusters are responsible for paying for all expenses incurred while on deployment. This may include:

    • Travel to and from the deployment site

    • Lodging

    • iPad

    • Meals

    • Adjusting software

    • Equipment such as a computer, iPad, and digital camera

    How long do I typically have to get to the assignment location once I accept?

    Adjusters should be prepared to be on-site within 24 to 48 hours of deployment. In large weather events, CNC will place adjusters on standby prior to deployment. When placed on standby, you should pack your gear and make any necessary arrangements so that you will be ready to leave for the assigned location when you're deployed.

    What is a deployment? How long do they usually last?

    A deployment is a claim adjusting assignment. Deployment times may vary from a few days to several months, depending on the volume of claims involved.

    Does CNC handle more than just catastrophe claims?

    CNC handles daily claims assignments and catastrophe claims.

    What kind of skills should I have to be a successful adjuster?

    To succeed as an insurance adjuster, you will need:

    • Attention to detail

    • Ability and stamina to work long hours

    • Excellent customer service skills

    • Organizational skills

    • A working knowledge of the internal and external auto parts or home construction

    • Proficiency in email correspondence

    • Proficiency in auto adjusting software such as Audatex, CCC, Mitchell

    • Proficiency in property adjusting software such as Simsol, Symbility, Xactimate

    • Proficiency in web-based communications including uploading and downloading information

    I’ve filled out the application and I’m on the roster. Now what? How do I remain active?

    Once your application has been reviewed and accepted by HR, you are active on CNC’s roster. In order to remain active, you should:

    • Check in with your HR point-of-contact on a monthly basis

    • Notify your point-of-contact of any license or certification renewals as they occur

    • Work on obtaining additional licenses and certifications that will help you qualify for carrier-specific and state-specific deployments

    What kind of setting does an adjuster work in? Do they all work in the field?

    Insurance adjusters perform work in many locations. Some examples are:

    • Inspecting homes, businesses, and automobiles in the field for daily or catastrophe claims

    • Desk administrative support, adjustment, or quality control at a CAT site

    • Desk adjuster or administrative support assignments at client offices

    • Desk adjuster assignments handling small losses over the phone from CNC’s main office

    I have a home state license, but what is a reciprocal license and how does it work?

    Adjuster license reciprocity is an agreement between states such that an adjuster holding a license in his or her home state can successfully apply for a license in another state without having to take that state's exam or pre-licensing course.

    Once you have your home state license, you may be able to apply for a reciprocal license in states that have a reciprocity agreement with your home state.

    Contact the Department of Insurance in your state of interest to see if your current state license has reciprocity, or for other state-specific licensing questions. AdjusterPro also has a reciprocity map you can check out.

    What is an emergency license?

    In some cases when there is a large volume of claims due to a catastrophic weather event, a state’s department of insurance will allow insurance adjusters to work claims related to that event on a short-term basis with an emergency license. Emergency licenses may be accepted by CNC based on the event, but they are not preferred.

    My [spouse, child, sibling, etc.] and I are an adjusting duo. Does CNC have any policies against this?

    CNC sends out two types of insurance adjusters: adjusters that work as a W-2 employee of CNC and adjusters that work as an independent contractor.

    For W-2 assignments, CNC will employ adjusters as needed to fill assignments received by the carrier. In many cases CNC may be able to deploy family members to be assigned to the same deployment. Each employee must be assigned to a deployment separately by CNC and must complete their individual deployment paperwork.

    For independent contractors, CNC will contract with one person or entity who is assigned claims and is ultimately responsible for those claims. An independent contractor may hire his own assistant to help perform administrative tasks as long as that individual is properly licensed and is paid by the contractor directly.

    Does any of CNC’s training count for CE credits?

    Some of CNC's classes count for CE credit, but please check before signing up. Not all training classes offered by CNC will count for CE credit. Classes must be pre-approved by the state’s Department of Insurance to qualify. For more information on upcoming CE opportunities, please call us at 251-471–4718.

    What type of training classes does CNC offer?

    CNC offers various adjuster training throughout the year, such as:

    • NFIP flood certification classes

    • Carrier certifications

    • Software training

    • Study halls

    • Webinars

    What if I have a question while on assignment? Does CNC offer support for adjusters out in the field?

    Of course! In small events, our home office claims team holds webinars, storm updates, and is available by phone to assist. In large CAT events, CNC will have field managers and trainers on-site, as well as evening study halls and software assistance.

    What are some of the benefits of working for CNC? Why not work for someone else?

    • Family owned and operated—you’re not a number here!

    • 30+ years in the game and going strong, we’ve worked every major catastrophe since 1989’s Hurricane Hugo. We work with adjusters nationwide to cover daily, casualty, TPA operations, and more!

    • We embrace technology; we don’t run from it. We're always reviewing and streamlining our processes to make the claims experience user-friendly to all parties involved.

    What additional resources do you recommend if I have more questions?

    You can find information on adjuster licensing by going to your state’s Department of Insurance website. Another good resource for researching adjuster licensing is AdjusterPro. To find out more about adjusting software go to:

    Helpful links